Sunday, April 26, 2009

Back in the Studio

The week before vacation and the week after vacation always seem to be so busy! I was able to pick up where I left off in the studio and get some work done. I have to, because I'm feeling the rush of only having 5 weeks left in my studio before summer. I worked on this large oil, but I'm not sure if it's done?






People always ask me "How do you know when it's done?" It's a gut reaction, you feel settled. If you feel restless when you look at it then it's not done. It seems to be calling to get your attention while you work on other things. I think this is what is happening here, but I don't know what it wants. I think the center needs some color variation but I'm a little scared to work on that area. I know you should never let fear hold you back from moving the work forward.

I also worked on a few encaustic paintings this week. This one I declared done a while back, but I knew I could make it better if I was willing to lose what I had to get to something better. Here is it after I worked on it. Is it better? I don't know, maybe I should have left it alone. This is the risk you take.

This seems to be a metaphor for life. You can get to a better place if you're willing to let go of where you are and what you have, to get there. A concept that is so hard to accept and actually put into practice, don't you agree?

1 comment:

  1. I like the big blue oil. Wish I could see it in person up close. The "Fire" still needs work, I think. I like the upper left quadrant of the bottom image. That is the most current right? You're right about the risk taking. I need help in that department, too.

    ReplyDelete