Friday, May 25, 2012

Art in the Open, Philadelphia 2012

I'm still digging paint out from under my nails and recovering from the 1,800 times I crouched and stood up while working. The weather was beautiful. I was in the sun but it didn't bother me because I was talking or working the entire time. My paint tarps were saturated and I had to hang them out to dry when I got home. I worked in fluid acrylics mixed with pouring medium and water, thanks to support from an opportunity grant from the Delaware Division of the Arts.
IMG_4421.JPG


My work is about my connection to nature. The combination of the environment and my process were successful in drawing observers attention to the river and their own relationship to nature. People enjoyed watching the thinned down paint run and form natural patterns and commented on how it reminded them of rivers, tree branches and their own veins. This was especially true of the paintings on Plexiglass as they are reminiscent of microcosms on slides. I enjoyed hearing peoples thoughts, feelings and impressions of the process and the work as it evolved over the 3 days. I met so many nice people and look forward to seeing the other participating artists at the exhibition opening on June 14th at the Independence Seaport Museum.
AiO Working 1.jpeg


AiO First Pour.jpeg


AiO Linda 2.jpg


Some of the finished work...

IMG_4366.jpg


IMG_4430.jpg


AiO Estuary.jpg


Plexi painting AiO.jpg


Plexi painting Rivers side.jpg


Plexi painting Splash.jpg


I photographed these quickly in my studio for the curator of the show. I'm still working on how the Plexiglas pieces will be displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment