Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Fiber Work

I've been playing in the studio. Well sort of, play means to take part in an enjoyable activity simply for the sake of amusement. Since usually I'm working towards some goal, an exhibition or juried show submission there seems very little time for play. Intellectually I know play and experimentation are important ingredients to innovative work, it's just hard to make the time and space for what sometimes feels frivolous. I mean no one wants to look like a fool or waste time or supplies. Even though I'm working to have some finished pieces to enter in a juried show I'm trying to remain open to new ideas and to play. I feel like I'm on the verge of something wonderful but I continue to fall a little short and sometimes I really hate what I have at the end of the day. This is something I have on the wall right now but it's still a work in progress. My friends come in every day and encourage me with kind comments. I tell myself "Keep going, it's too late to turn back now."
IMG_0687.JPG


This is a painting on broadcloth stretched on stretcher bars, covered with dyed silk that I ironed and then a crinkly piece of dyed silk pinned on top of that. It's interesting and getting closer to something I might call finished.

I listed 5 hand painted wristlets on my Etsy site.

IMG_0746.JPG


IMG_0697.JPG


IMG_0719.JPG


If you're new to Etsy you can check out my favorites to see some really cool things.

No comments:

Post a Comment